Your gut has feelings too

Harness the power of The Source?  >  This sounds rather sinister and yet it is what the latest therapy book is urging you to do. It is about trusting your intuition, or what the author is calling your mystical sixth sense.

It is claimed body scans have revealed a complex communication system. It links the millions of neurons in the gut walls to the part of the brain integral to decision-making, the expression of emotion and where habits are stored.

Because of this, lifestyle factors such as what you eat and the supplements you take, can affect your powers of intuition. Thus it is argued that physical neglect, such as a bad diet, lack of exercise or dehydration, can have profound neurobiological consequences.

If you are thinking ‘heard it all before‘ you would not be far from the truth, as this doctrine is a regurgitation of so many other new age therapies.

For example, self-help books such as the very popular ‘The Secret’, based its success on using thought vibrations and higher powers to manifest desires. It resulted in wondrous and spontaneous happenings.

And alarm bells should ring when you hear proponents of The Source* spouting pseudo-science like … ‘through the filters of neuroscience and psychiatry, a new science of brain optimisation has been discovered. It combines cognitive science, with a healthy measure of spirituality and gut instinct.’

At Tonic we are not against new techniques as long as they are back by evidence. Simply repackaging old ideas to sell yet another self-help book does not impress.

Declutter your brain

But, casting scepticism aside, it is worth considering the sales spiel. The core message is that directing your thoughts can influence your material life circumstances and your relationships. Through a simple series of exercises, you can learn to merge your limbic brain, which controls the more spiritual, esoteric side of your thinking, with the logic centre of the cortex.

The result is a whole brain state. In this state you can go soul searching with self-realisation statements like … ‘I want to take control of my emotions and turn around a difficult relationship‘ and ‘I want to find happiness through greater health and life purpose‘.

Originality is the art of hiding your source

Having set such goals, you are encouraged to create a collage of pictures which represents your chosen journey or ambitions. It is a visual version of your innermost dreams and it works by priming your brain to spot and grasp the right opportunities. You are encouraged to ask people to challenge you on it. Users are also invited to try …

• Value tagging > This is the process of placing a new idea at the front of your mind by thinking about it often.
  • Visualisation >  This is based of the claim that the brain cannot differentiate between experiencing an event and a strongly imagined vision of the same event. So just visualising your ideal future can help prime your brain to spot opportunities to make it happen.
  • Autopilot delete > If you want to make significant changes in your life, you need to nudge your brain out of its comfortable autopilot mode, so it can be more receptive to new ideas.
  • Banish your demons > Shake off unhelpful patterns of thinking and behaviour.

And so on. Throw into the mix keeping a gratitude list, exposing secrets and re-establishing values, and you have a wonderful mishmash of ideas stolen from other therapies. In summary The Source is all about hiding its source to sell books. There is nothing original on offer.

Footnote  > * The Source therapy book, by Dr Tara Swart, is published in February 2019 by Vermilion.

13 thoughts on “Your gut has feelings too

1. Quilly-nilly says:

Such sneering is unhelpful when someone is trying to help others. OK, the individual ideas may be evident in other therapies, but bringing them together could make them more potent. Just because she is making money out of her book, does invalidate what she says.

• The Eccles Lad says:

Common on! This is the same old stuff which has been preached the other side of the Pond for years. Namely if you think positively you can achieve your dreams. It simply is not true. What is more is is dangerous nonsense which too often leads to feelings of failure and depression. It may improve your life if your goals are modest, butthat is it.
      Far better to dream another dream.

2. Walter Blower says:

I’m all for keeping a growing gratitude list as it is a great way to stop your brain dwelling on negatives. It helps focus your brain, making positive achievements and happy thoughts easier to recall in future. Just because the idea is simple does not invalidate it.

• Figure out which friends you need to get rid of, as the most precious gift that one human can give to another, cost absolutely nothing – it is time. If you have people in your life that do not respect your time, or never have time for you, get them out of your life.

• More nonsense from a failed shrink churning out ideas which are at least 30 years old. All she is doing is making money out of the gullible desperate. Sad

• Timmy (Perth) says:

People with chemical imbalances need medication. As far as I’m concerned, my mindset accounts for everything. If I wallow in self-pity and misery then obviously my life will be miserable. Have a positive outlook and I’ll attract positive things. It is all about the Law of attraction

3. anger man says:

what depresses me are all the self-help books and the armies of self-righteous counsellors hellbent on improving my life
    i am happy as I am so piss off

• I am a Cosmic human being. Not sure what that means but it sounds good, so maybe I too should write a pointless guidebook telling other people how to lead their lives. But I do know this – people become miserable either because their dreams didn’t pan out as planned, or they suffered trauma. Either way, yet another self-help book is not going to help, so thanks for exposing this nonsense for what it is.

4. Teddy Boy (Client 88) says:

The potential to grow and change your brain, and how it direct the owner’s life, is far greater than we have been led to believe. But the best advice is to know thyself. Accept your capabilities, be realistic with your goals and recognise that most of us will never rise above what we are right now. So don’t exhaust yourself with unrealistic ambition and expectations. Apart from anything else, it is far too tiring.

5. The Candyfloss man says:

So if I train my brain my dreams will come true. Really? I cannot see that happening though I wish it was true! As for me I have trained my brain to ignore useless articles like this.

6. Reb Camber says:

Why have you wasted your time reviewing such twaddle? At best this woman has just copied & pasted juicy bits of advice from other self help books. But most of what she preaches boils down to basic common sense. Guess she has had to resort to plagiarism to fund her divorce – obviously her claptrap didn’t do her any good!

7. Chapter-9 says:

Brain training. Stage one is to teach your brain not to buy this instantly forgettable book. Let her fund her own divorce