Blushing is when the heart smiles

Chronic blushing is nothing to be embarrassed about > Hands up anyone who has blush 333not flushed with embarrassment at some time. Thought so! The fact is we have all felt like a fool at some time and coloured up as a result, but if going red is stressing you out, you could be suffering from chronic blushing.

Simply flushing pink with embarrassment could be considered a normal and attractive trait as it shows we are human and have feelings; after all, it is said blushing is the colour of virtue…

It is only when it becomes psychologically distressing that remedial action needs to be taken. In extreme cases sufferers find it difficult to function in society, choosing to avoid situations where their blushing could be activated. Socialising and even going out become no go areas.

The starting point in fixing the problem is identifying the cause. This can be inconclusive as blushing is an involuntary reaction which could be generated by phobias such as social anxiety or medical conditions like the menopause and rosacea. Another explanation could be that you are in love, in which case stop reading now!

As with any anxiety disorder, blushers may also experience heart palpitations, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness or tightness in the chest. But even if the cause can be identified, blushing can be difficult to manage as your nervous system has been triggered, resulting in the blood vessels in your face widening.blush 222

In the absence of a cause some medics resort to nerve surgery, involving an Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy (ETS). This is as bad as it sounds plus has potential side effects, including excess sweating.

In most cases such surgery is a sledgehammer to crack a nut as involuntary blushing (erythrophobia) really is no big deal and can easily be cured using numerous talking therapies. Ask your doctor for advice on kinesiology, acupuncture, Emotional  Freedom Technique (E F T) and of course Tonic’s style of hypnotherapy. Whatever complementary therapy you choose, be reassured your embarrassment can be cured so there is no need to hide away.

Unless of course you are blushing because of a guilty secret, in which case complementary therapy is a non-starter! As Mark Twain said, “Man is the only creature that blushes, or needs to.”blush 111

22 thoughts on “Blushing is when the heart smiles

1. Jan Myers (therapist) says:

Usually blushing is an instantaneous physiological response to a potentially embarrassing situation, and thus it is most common among young people who have a social anxiety disorder. And yet not everyone who blushes has social anxiety, and likewisenot everyone with social anxiety blushes.)
    But I know from clients I have helped that those with very fair or pale skinned are most at risk as their blushing is more pronounced. Ultimately the cause does not matter as involuntary blushing can easily be resolved using complementary therapies.

2. Lilly says:

The very thought of being the centre of attention makes me blush. I know it is madness as deep down, as a teenager girl, that is what I really crave. To be noticed – to be admired. Isn’t that why teenagers dress provocatively? An yet for me it is a Catch 22.

3. TT (York) says:

for me it is the element of surprise
    when something personal happens in public and im not expecting it that i disolve in embarrassment
    im scared that im judged on my blushes – that people think im strange or weird.

• Candy-K says:

For me it is the other way round. It is that creeping expectation that it is your turn to say something. Say at work when everyone is introducing themselves that I break out is sweats knowing my time is coming. Even if I just have to say my name I immediately blush. Yuk.

• Factoid Joe says:

Sorry, maybe it is just me, but as a bloke I find it wonderfully sexual when a girl blushes. So pure, so innocent. Stop worrying girls – you look GREAT

• Ted says:

Yer, but not so clever when the blushing is being done by a bloke. I feel a prat.

4. Tam Verney says:

The problem we have got here is that the very fear of blushing helps keep blushing alive. A sort of Catch 22. And you are right that everyone has a different trigger so there is no common cure. One person may blush when someone at work calls their name in a crowded room, while another will blush when made the centre of attention. And yet I also agree that there are two good points – blushing is attractive to the beholder and it is easily cured.

• Mrs Iris Gerrard says:

It is indeed a paradox. It is only when you learn to stop fighting social anxiety that you can start to recover from this phobia. This requires persistence, patience and a willingness to be kind to yourself. Nothing more and certainly not surgery.

5. P-P-Pam says:

The secret is to find a distraction or grab onto a rational statement when you are afraid of blushing. Don’t focus on it. If you do blush don’t try to hide it or look down, but just continue with whatever you were doing. The more you realise that it is no big deal and simply focus externally, then your blush will go away on its own.
    Also slow it down and take the pressure off yourself. Tell yourself that it is fine to blush – the more you believe it is fine the less you will blush.

• a lone blusher says:

all these comment are so cold and clinical – all written by clever dicks who have never experienced the shame of blushing in public
      the vulnerability
      the opening up of yourself to mockery
      the humilation and embarrassment
      yes i hide away because i dont want to be laughed at
      and as for blushing being attractive only an arrogant male could make such a crass statement
      if a helpless female is sexy then that speaks loads about the male psychi

• anon says:

That is sad. But I urge you to break free and take a ‘so what, who cares” attitude. Show your body and others who is boss

6. Anne (Client 209) says:

If you are obsessed and consumed by blushing then your brain is focused on blushing and it WILL happen. The problem is the anticipation or expectation. Break that cycle and you will be cured.

7. Yorky says:

I think most of these comments are wrong or at least unhelpful. The act of blushing itself is not an automatic negative thought as claimed. It is more useful to think of blushing as just an unfortunate fact of life. It happens, your life moves on, it will stop. Same as teenage spots.
    So stop beating yourself up about it. OK, if you feel that everyone notices you blush, is judgmental about it, and thinks less of you because of it – these are automatic negative thoughts which result in low self-esteem, lack of confidence and feelings of helplessness. So set yourself above all this judging. Who cares! It is your body, it is changing as your grow up and soon your blushing will be replaced by a new bodily worry. Thats life

• Calder (Tenby) says:

Not sure I understand your logic but what is worth stressting is that social anxiety and all its symptoms, including blushing, can be overcome. You don’t have to ‘live through it’ unchallenged as you seem to infer.

8. David Lister (therapist) says:

People who are not blushers do not feel that blushing is terrible or embarrassing. Most don’t even notice it. If they do, it is because the blusher themselves pay attention to it, point it out, make a comment about it, or look embarrassed.. So if this is your problem, just continue right on with what you are doing or saying when you blush. Put no effort into concentrating on the symptoms and others will not even notice it. Even if they do, you will have learned not to care.

• sexy-thoughts says:

More fun and productive to fight back mentally. If you fear blushing, think of those you are with as being naked! It will make you feel less tense and self-conscious and your blushing won’t happen.
      Don’t believe me – well try it!

9. Grace 9 says:

The phrase I hear most often in my clinic is that blushers feel ‘like crawling into a hole and disappearing’ simply because they blushed and someone else noticed it.
    I tell these clients that they not only over exaggerate their blushing, but also over exaggerate the effect their blushing has on other people. And just for the record, I like the earlier comment about pyschological revenge – think of others being naked and blushing and your blush won’t happen!!

10. Tony Cox (therapist) says:

I recommend cognitive therapy for social anxiety, which by default will correct blushing. Since blushing is maintained by our anxiety, in cognitive therapy you will learn to think, believe, and feel differently.

• LL. Dent says:

Good point Tony. I have been approached by clients who want “blushing only” therapy, but this does not work, because the root cause of blushing is social anxiety. For blushing to be ‘cured’, then social anxiety must be eradicated, too. Cognitive therapy to overcome social anxiety and its symptoms -such as excessive sweating, hands that shake, or neck twitching – is always necessary. In addition, there are specific behavioural exercises to help in reducing blushing, and should be practiced and put into place as the cognitive, rational material is taking root in the brain. Any good therapist will teach you what to do.

11. nadjib says:

I was Googling around for content about “How to stop blushing” this morning

when I came across your excellent resource page “https://www.stresstonic.com/index.php/2015/06/14/blushing-heart-smiles/”

I just wanted to say that your page helped me a ton. I recently create a post that your audience may love, and it can be a great addition in your blog post
    check it out here”https://selfhelpbasics.com/how-to-stop-blushing-why-are-we-blushing/” and if you like to add a link to the post
    I would appreciate it and I know that your audience will love it too